Monday, March 3, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

Last night Cory and I watched SuperBad with some family and friends. I didn't really watch it..I was on the computer then went to bed. Although I do find some of that movie funny, I kept thinking how I really need to quit watching those movies. I happened to wake up when Cory came to bed..after the movie was over. The first thing he said was "I really need to stop watching movies like that." Not only are the a lil on the dirty and "bad" side, but Cory's been through a lot..as have I..and they have a tendency to bring up the past right in his face. So it gets a lil hard sometimes.

Today in R.S. we talked about family and the home. We talked about art, books, entertainment, music..etc. and how it effects those in the home. Once again, I kept thinking of how we need to censor what we watch..especially once the kids are old enough to understand what we are watching. I a make a vow, today, to be very careful what I watch.

We also spoke about music. When I was prego, I would place headphones on my belly and have the babes listen to primary and church hymns. Plus, I used to sing I Am A Child Of God all the time..for some reason I sang it..out loud or in my head..as I was laying in bed going to sleep. But, even at 2 1/2 months old, they stop and listen when I sing that song or others that were played to them. It's amazing how they already know! I can't even imagine how they will react when they are older!

An interesting thing about art in our home..my daddy has this extremely old picture in his bedroom. I had asked him about it months and months ago. He said that apparently, he had some connection to it when he was younger..although he didn't really remember what exactly. Well, two of three days ago, we were in his room getting Taya ready for a bath. He was holding her and she was just staring at the picture on the wall behind his head. It's a gorgeous picture of an old building. She just seemed to love it! I hate to say it, but I do hope that if something were to have to happen to my dad, that she might get that picture. It seems they may have had that same connection to it...although no one really knows what!

I just hope we can all be watchful and careful what enters our homes. I am not perfect at it, but I do know that, in the lease, I will be careful what my kids see and hear!!

1 comment:

NikkiAWardell said...

That is funny that you mention this!! Nathan LOVES hockey!! He is always saying he wants to play and I am really really unsure of it all. My brother played and Cory played and I am very unsure of the kind of environment they are around when playing. I told him I didn't want him to play because lots of hockey players I know say bad words and drink and do other bad things. He said, "I want to be a hockey player that doesn't say bad words or drink." Well, few days later we were in the car and Nathan said, "What the H..l" Abby, our stalwart, told him it was a bad word. I asked him where he heard it and he said, "The Simpson's Movie. Bart says it." Well, I told him it was a bad word and suddenly he says, "I will never make this plan." (Speaking of the plan of salvation). Anyway, we talked about he is learning and all and God wasn't mad at him as long as he learned not to say it again. They are so suseptible to the spirit but also easily suseptible to the bad in the world as well!! Hope all is well in IF.