Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

Wow! What an amazing man!! I have so much LOVE and RESPECT for Joseph Smith..for many reasons! But..here's a new one I just read about and it actually sunk in. And it's something you wouldn't think he would have much to do with this topic..REPENTENCE!!

Martin Harris asked Joseph Smith, who in turn prayed to Heavenly Father, 3 times, whether or not he could show the first 116 translated pages to his family. After to "No's", he was told he could show it to a few specific people. Martin showed it to more and the pages were lost. When Martin Harris returned from home and explained to Joseph Smith what happened, Joseph did not reprimand Martin. In turn, he scolded himself. He felt guilt and wept. He blamed himself for "fearing man more than God." He knew he should not have asked God more than once. He wept and grieved and prayed, asking for forgiveness. He received it.
I have always known this story..ever since I was a little kid. BUT I haven't thought of it in this aspect before..as a lesson on REPENTENCE!! It made me think..am I THAT sorrowful after I sin? Am I THAT remorseful? THAT upset? THAT guilty?? Of course I feel bad and cry and pray..and definately feel guilty..but I also know I never looked at it as Joseph Smith did.

No matter how hard I try, it is inevitable that sin will happen. I just have to remember to sincerely repent..AS Joseph Smith did!!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Thank you so much for saying hi. I'm happy that you and Cory and doing so well! I can't wait to see you're little twins and I love the thought of Cory being a Daddy. He is such a special guy and I'm grateful he found a wife as wonderful as you!