Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Stitches!

We had our first stitches!!  The very next day after the 4th!!  I was in the bathroom and I hear a horrible cry from Gage.  I get out and Cory's holding Gage...blood filling up the inside of his mouth!  A hole inside..all the way through to the outside.  One of his teeth was also bleeding.  (well his gums around that tooth).  Gage said he was getting up on the bench (for the table) and slipped.  He hit his face on Alexis' high chair.  He only cried for a minute or two and was excited when he got to hold the cloth on his lip.  Cory took him into the ER.  The doc said that he bit through his lip.  They gave him two stitches on his chin/lip area.  None inside though.  He also said that we would need to get him to a dentist ASAP to check out the tooth.

Gage at the hospital!  Cory said in order to do the numbing shot they sorta wrapped him up in a sheet with arm holes. (sounds like a straight jacket type of thing to me)!  He kept screaming, "Daddy!!  Daddy!!"  It about broke Cory's heart!  
Right after they got home!  (very swollen eyes from being SO tired, hungry, and from crying!)
 I took this picture the next day.  The stitches are right there underneath his lip.  His chin was all scratched up from hitting it on the high chair.  That turned into a nasty bruise!
I also took him to the dentist the next day.  (Thank you Natalie for watching the other kids and letting me use your car)!  My nephew, just 6 months older than Gage, had an accident and the dentist had to pull one of his front teeth!  I was terrified of having to sit there while that happened to Gage! I HATE the dentist!! But, the dentist said the roots look fine and although the tooth got pushed back a bit, it's not affecting his bite.  If it was they would have pulled it. We were told to watch it for signs of infection or dying.  His tooth is fine though and his stitches came out a week later.  He has a scar right there..that I'm actually watching closely because it is starting to stick out quite a bit and it wasn't sticking out at all the first couple weeks after the stitches were removed.  So I hope it doesn't turn into a painful scar that has to be removed!  I'm glad I didn't have to sit there and watch him get wrapped up though!  He got lots of smoothies and super soft treats during the couple of weeks we were watching his tooth though!! 

2 comments:

The Graham Family! said...

How sad! When Ashlyn had her stitches removed they had to wrap her in a sheet the same way. Luckily putting the stitches in were better than taking them out. It is so sad to see them go thru that. Glad it's done and over with right?? At least until another kid needs some stitches! Hopefully never.

Jeff & Ashlee Olsen & Family said...

Awh, poor little guy. I always hate it when my kids get hurt. Taya's date with her dad looks like lots of fun. My kids love spending one on one time with us!