Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Our diaper clan is slowly dwindling...

We started potty training Gage and Taya last Tuesday, the 22nd of June. We started it off with taking them to the store the day before and letting them pick their underwear...
OF COURSE Gage wanted CARS!!
Taya looked for all the princesses..but they were out. She picked Tinker Bell!
And this is what they did when the package got opened..
Afterwards, Gage was upset to NOT have them with him so we let him put them on over his diaper.

The next morning I took them straightway to the toilet. Taya was totally for it! She sat down and got her Tinker Bell on. Gage wasn't having it. He did NOT want his diaper off. He did NOT want to sit on the toilet. An hour later, I took Taya again and Gage did NOT want to go. About a half hour after that, Gage told me he wasn't a baby, he was a big boy and wanted to go potty. He was mad he had to get a diaper on underneath his underwear for nap and bed. That first day was pretty good..a couple accidents and a few going on the toilet. I was impressed and proud!

The next day, we were outside in swim diapers most of the day. I still took them to the toilet but they were more interested in the sprinkler waiting outside. They went a couple times in the toilet though.

On Thursday..UGH!! Gage did GREAT..he had a couple accidents..but one was on his way to the toilet and the other he was waiting for Taya to get off. Taya became COMPLETELY disinterested. I still made her go but it was definitely a fight! She went a couple times in the toilet but had accidents and could have cared less.

Friday Taya did not want to go to the potty. I know it's bad to "give up" but she is not interested and doesn't even try, so she is back in a diaper and doesn't care at all (this is also the 3rd time trying with her. Had we stuck with it the first time she would be potty trained because we gave up, not her..) Gage did GREAT!!

Saturday we drove to Montana. I took Gage in the morning but put a diaper on underneath his underwear. We got to about Dubois, Idaho and he said he had to go potty. We pulled over and he went..for literally about 10 minutes!! We ended up stopping for him 6 times for him to go potty, each time he told us he had to go potty. He went all times except the last one..by that point he just wanted out of his seat. His diaper remained dry the entire time! He had one accident while we were in Montana...it was a number 2 accident as he was running to the toilet.

On Sunday he did great! He had zero accidents..same with yesterday (another long drive from Montana) and so far today! Today he actually all alone! I came out of our bathroom and couldn't find him. As I am calling his name, he opens the bathroom door and asks for help to get his underwear up (he had on two pairs and tried to pull the outer one up first so they were stuck!) Taya is still on hold. When she shows interest we will try again. But Gage is doing GREAT!!! So sad to see them grow up..yet so happy and proud!!

3 comments:

TOVAR said...

What a big boy! Talia was really interested when I really wasn't ready to help her. I am amazed at your dedication. I am sure Taya will come around really soon.

Marlynn said...

Good Job! I know I think my daughter would be potty trained if I stuck to it. She wanted to do it right after I had the baby so I was plain wiped out! and let it go now its many months later and no potty training. Maybe I'll stick to it this time!

David and Vicki Wardell Family said...

Let Taya lead the way...she will do it in her own way and time frame...with our oldest we spent a couple of months working on this, with our 2nd, when we thought he might be interested, we gave him a choice every morning,undies or a diaper, after about 3 days, he picked underwear, went into the toilet peed and that was it. Never another accident or a diaper. They are all a little different and on different timelines. 4 boys in this house and all 4 of them were different ages and ways. She will come around...