Thursday, January 15, 2009

So long Uncle David

Monday the 5th was a day like any other. I was asleep and Cory was downstairs with Gage and Taya. The next thing I knew, he sort of burst into the room. He simply said, "we have to go to Montana sometime this week." I was confused so he added, "Uncle David just died." Now I have an uncle David on my mom's side, and Cory has three..two on his dad's and one on his mom's. I was asking questions and he finally said, "Rock." My heart immediately went to his family...



I have known his son Zac for years now..before I knew Cory! And I've known the rest of the family since I've known Cory..three years. Uncle David had lived with Multiple Sclerosis. He was diagnosed in his 20's. Cory and I go over to the Rocks home whenever we go to Montana. The only way I've known uncle Dave was in his wheelchair and bed. Cory remembers the desent from the cane to the arm crutches to the wheelchair and to bed. Uncle David was always excited to have visitors. He used to try his hardest to talk to you and I could understand him when he did get words out. But, as the MS progressed, he was only able to smile. I still remember the first time Cory and I went to visit him. He was in his wheelchair and he and aunt Nola were at the table in their dinning room. She introduced us and he had this huge smile on his face. He said, "hello." He even added, "how are you?" Cory and Nola were telling me that he used to rock climb like Cory does. He kept smiling and nodding. You could just see the excitement in his face and eyes when they brought up rock climbing. We ended up leaving a bit later. And every time we've gone over, that same huge smile was on his face!

So, Cory and I went to Idaho Falls on Wednesday. On Thursday, we got up and got the kids going a bit. Then we left them their with Grandma and Grandpa and headed up to Helena. That evening everyone met at Nola's to share in all the food she'd been given. It was good to see her and her kids. Everyone seemed to be going okay.

The viewing was on Friday morning. I do study forensics and criminology and have enjoyed working with cadavers. However, it is so different to see a lifeless, souless body of someone you know. I've done it before and always had a hard time. I also, have never been in on the "family" part. The only family I know that has previously passed is Grandpa, Papa (other grandpa..not my dad) and my great-grandma. The only funeral I have attended for family is my great-grandma's. So I was completely new to the family prayer and walking in and sitting in the family rows. I had no idea the immediate family did final goodbyes before the top was shut. My heart sunk.

The service immediately followed. It was beautiful. Zac, who is their oldest son..second oldest of all, gave the life sketch. He did such a wonderful job! I am so proud of him and his strength to get through it. Cory was a pallbearer. He's done it twice before, for his Grandma and Grandpa Southwick. To me, that would just be too sad! He said it is!

Thank you to my family for watching all the kids. I am so glad I was able to attend. It was so great to get to see all the family. It was so sad it had to be under those circumstances. Uncle David's passing is bitter sweet. It is always sad to lose someone you love and not get to see and visit with them. But, he no longer has to live with the faulty physical body. So long. David Dead Rock. We will all see you again!

2 comments:

Chelsi said...

I'm glad that you were able to be there to spend time with family. Funerals are always a bitter sweet time. Hope everything is going well for you guys.

Keith Timberlake said...

You study cadavers(?) in your first year? Who does that?