Cory couldn't find his regular van keys with the house key on it before he had to leave so he just grabbed the spare key to go to work. Our doorknobs open from the inside even while locked so I just opened it and ran out thinking it was unlocked. Alexis was in the living room playing on the floor! We tried all the windows and the other door...nothing was opened! I just couldn't believe it! We came to the conclusion that we would have to break through a window. I was sick at the idea! But I also was sick that Alexis was inside all alone! I clearly remember thinking that I wish the other kids were here so they could open the door for us!
I stood on some chairs looking through our big back window so I could watch Alexis. She sat there and played for a while but then she looked up at me and could totally tell something was wrong. She started to whine a little bit but still played with her toys. It was also her naptime!
Cory called 911 and they said there wasn't much a cop could do if everything was shut and locked. So he called a locksmith who told us to call the cops since there was a baby inside. A lot of help they were! So Cory was about to break in a window and I just couldn't let him! I was trying to talk him out of it when a cop came into the backyard. I was scared..if you know our story behind Peyton's cast and the STUPID STUPID detective in Idaho Falls then you would understand my fear. He was super nice though..and he was about our age which I think is why he was so nice! Anyway, he mentioned kicking in the door! A MUCH better idea I thought. Cory decided that was probably best too. The cop said, "do you want me to do it or do you want to do it? It's not every day you get to kick in your own door!"
They walked around front and the next thing I see is Alexis start to wail and the door open! I ran around front and inside! Cory was holding Alexis who was crying and shaking. Cory said the bang was SUPER loud and it must have scared her! Poor thing! The cop left (not after mentioning he had never had a call like that before!) and Cory got to door to close and put our entry-way table behind it to make sure it couldn't be opened from the outside by someone. He had to take off for work so I was there trying to console Alexis. She stopped crying and I lay her down for a nap. She was a little shaky all night though. Later that night I was doing some work on the computer, which means my back is to the living room floor, and she was there playing. She started to whine and I turned around. As soon as she saw me she smiled and was okay. It seemed she completely understood that she had been left alone in the living room and didn't want that to happen again! All in all, we were all safe and the door is easily fixable!
Well, just last Friday night (12-3) it happened again!! Alexis was in her jumper and the kids were eating their pizza as a picnic in the living room watching Polar Express. They were thirsty so we were in the kitchen getting drinks. Because I was cooking pizza, and I actually can't stand that smell, I still had the kitchen blinds up and the window open to air it out. I saw someone pull up and run to the front door, then heard a knock. Because the front door was baracaded, I used the side door. I left it open and only closed the glass door. I went around to talk to the visitor. He was there to introduce himself and ask Cory and I to speak in church..ugh! Anyway, just as I was walking back around, I saw the door close. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I got up there and it was locked! I just could NOT believe it happened twice in just 10 days!
I felt relief that the older kids were there though. I knocked and called them over. Gage tried to open it but kept saying that he couldn't because his hands were dirty. Taya tried but her hands slipped off too. It seemed an impossible feat since their hands were a bit greasy from the pizza and the didn't want to get the door dirty! I remember thinking, at least the kitchen window is open if I have to crawl through! And again, I had no shoes on and no long-sleeves! It was rather cold! I asked Gage to go wipe his hands on the blanket then try..he did and still couldn't. So I told him to go to the bathroom and wash his hands then dry them so he could open it. I assume he started to walk away because I had to knock and yell out for him to come back. I realized that they could just unlock it..duh Kasey! So I explained the lock and how to unlock it but he kept thinking it was a button and tried to push it! I told him he had to turn it. He kept saying he couldn't but kept trying and somewhere amongst the chaos he got it unlocked and I got inside!
I still cannot believe I did that twice! It's just crazy! I am glad we had a very nice policeman and that the older kids were there the second time! Maybe it's about time we get new doorknobs eh?!?! :)













2 comments:
ohhh that would have been so irritating! i'm glad that you didn't have to climb through the kitchen window though!
Oh man, that's horrible! Our door knobs work the same way & I've locked myself out before, but Preston & Tayci are both old enough to open the doors. I finally just gave my neighbors a key in case that ever happens again & is an emergency. I'm glad you guys got it all figured out though!
Post a Comment